OFAH/BrokerLink Conservation Internship
Job Title: OFAH/BrokerLink Conservation Internship
Application Deadline: May 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm
Potential Start Date: June 1, 2022
Contract End Date: January 24, 2023
Hours: 35 hours per week (full-time 34-week contract)
Location: Peterborough, ON
Rate of Pay: $20.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Number of Positions: 1
The OFAH/BrokerLink Conservation Internship is an exciting early-career opportunity to work with the OFAH’s conservation professionals on a range of policy, conservation program, and outreach projects. Previous OFAH interns have gone on to undertake graduate degrees and/or work with other stakeholder organizations, provincial agencies and the OFAH.
The successful candidate will gain practical work experience in fish and wildlife policy review and development with Policy & Programs Department biologists and managers. The successful candidate will also have opportunities to work with OFAH Outreach Programs staff to educate youth and the public about Ontario’s natural heritage. Additionally, the intern will support the Community Hatchery Program (CHP), Alternative Land Use Services (ALUS) Peterborough, Invasive Species Awareness Program (ISAP), and Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program (LOASRP) in program activities such as outreach, planning, and where possible under COVID-19 restrictions field work (fish stocking, tree planting, stream clean-ups and monitoring, and invasive species monitoring).
Education and Qualifications:
- Recently graduated from post-secondary education in biology, ecology, fish and wildlife, environmental science, environmental/outdoor education or a related resource management program;
- Experience working with the public and youth; and
- Experience with fish and wildlife field work would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Essential computer skills (MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Strong written and oral communication skills (including scientific literature reviews, report preparation and public speaking);
- Organizational, multi-tasking, time management and project management skills; and
- Ability to work independently and co-operatively in a large organizational team.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license (Class G), fishing license, outdoors card with accredited hunter, pleasure craft operator card, emergency first aid with level A CPR certification (as a minimum), valid criminal record check, and valid OFAH membership.
- Experience with GIS and graphics design (e.g. infographics) and statistical analysis/programming would be an asset.
- Small boat operating and trailering experience would also be an asset.
Please forward a cover letter, résumé and one reference letter indicating how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
Attention: Chris Robinson, OFAH Manager of Programs
Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
To assist with your application we recommend you review the following article Inside look: How to Get a Job at the OFAH?
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE OR EMAIL INQUIRES PLEASE
The deadline for applications is May 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm
Interviews will be held over May 24-25, 2022 remotely by video conferencing
(e.g. Skype, Zoom, etc.)
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at 705-748-6324 x245 or email@example.com.