Conservation Education Liaison
Job Title: Conservation Education Liaison
Application Deadline: March 4, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Potential Start Date: April 16, 2018
Location: Peterborough, ON
Duration: Up to 20 weeks – 35 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $14.61 per hour
Number of Positions: 1
** Please note: Position is dependent upon external funding, yet to be received by the OFAH **
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) is the oldest and largest non-profit, non-government fish and wildlife conservation organization in Canada. The OFAH represents more than 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters. The OFAH Get Outdoors program is a national award winning, youth conservation and leadership program which gives today’s youth first hand exposure to our rich outdoor heritage.
- Provide personalized tours and interpretive presentations for walk-in attendees during weekday, evening, and weekend Heritage Centre operating hours;
- Help host special function bookings and carry out all pre and post visit requirements for educational field trips, special user groups and private bookings;
- Maintain a neat, organized working environment. This includes (but is not limited to): vacuuming, sweeping, emptying garbage bins, spot-cleaning washrooms, shoveling, and general tidying up before and after visitors and user groups leave, etc.;
- Respond to information requests received by e-mail, phone or in-person.
Refer individuals to other sources of information when necessary. Distribute information by mail, e-mail, courier, and fax;
- Deliver original, creative and hands-on curriculum linked educational programs for elementary and secondary students attending field trips to the Heritage Centre. The curriculum will focus on promoting fish and wildlife conservation and the role of anglers and hunters have and will continue to play in the past, present and future. Assist with the development of these activities as required;
- Assist with the development, delivery and promotion of regular programs associated with the Heritage Centre including Get Outdoors Summer Day Camp, PA Day programs, TackleShare Program, etc.;
- Assist with the development, delivery, and promotion of special events associated with the Heritage Centre including Father’s Day Event, guest speakers, etc.;
- Assist with the program delivery, and equipment maintenance pertaining to the Shimano Fish Pond, Excalibur Archery Range and Stoeger Air Gun Range; and
- Maintain an up-to-date tally of walk-in visitors.
Education and Qualifications:
- Minimum of one year college or university education in education, tourism, recruitment, special events coordinator or equivalent work-related experience in the relevant fields;
- Minimum of one year in an education or conservation awareness leadership role would be an asset.
- Registered as a full-time student in post secondary education for the 2017-2018 academic school year, and enrolment in post secondary education for the Fall of 2018;
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the beginning of employment;
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Proficient with MS Office, databases, e-mail;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong customer service, public relations, public speaking skills, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong ability and willingness to work in a team environment, multi-task and problem solve; and
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s licence (class G);
- Valid fishing license;
- Valid hunting version of the Outdoors Card;
- Valid firearms license;
- Valid pleasure craft operators card;
- Valid Standard First Aid with Level C CPR certification and AED (as a minimum);
- Valid police record check; and
- Valid OFAH membership
Please submit in one document an OFAH Conservation Education Liaison Application Form, cover letter and résumé indicating how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
Attention: Conservation Education Coordinator
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, ON K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
NO TELEPHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES PLEASE
The deadline for applications is March 4, 2018 at 11:59 pm.
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Julie Young, Human Resources at 705-748-6324 x245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.