Conservation Team Member
Job Title: Conservation Team Member
Application Deadline: September 22, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Potential Start Date: September 30, 2019
Potential End Date: April 30, 2020
Location: Peterborough, ON
Duration: 7 months (with potential for contract extension)
Hours: 4 to 15 hours per week (during the evening and weekend)
Rate of Pay: $14.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Number of Positions: 1
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) is the oldest and largest non-profit, non-government fish and wildlife conservation organization in Canada. The OFAH represents more than 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters. The OFAH/Mario Cortellucci Hunting & Fishing Heritage Centre is an education centre with an emphasis on telling the conservation success stories of anglers, hunters, and trappers to over 7,500 visitors each year.
- Responsible for locking and unlocking the Heritage Centre for evening and weekend bookings;
- Responsible for carrying out general duties during after-hours events to ensure the Heritage Centre stays neat and tidy and guests receive a safe and enjoyable experience;
- Provide personalized tours and interpretive presentations for walk-in attendees during weekday, evening and weekend Heritage Centre operating hours;
- Maintain a neat, organized working environment. This includes (but is not limited to): vacuuming, sweeping, emptying garbage bins, spot-cleaning washrooms, shoveling, general tidying up before and after visitor groups leave etc.;
- Responsible for feeding the fish during special Heritage Centre events;
- Assist with fishing instruction, supervisor and maintenance duties pertaining to the Shimano Fish Pond;
- Assist with the development and delivery of regular programs associated with the Heritage Centre, which includes, but is not limited to: birthday party programs and private events; and
- Assist with the program development, delivery and equipment maintenance associated with the Excalibur Archery Range and Stoeger Air Gun Range.
Education and Qualifications:
- Completion of a Secondary School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED); and
- Minimum of one year of experience in an education or conservation awareness leadership role would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong customer service, public relations, public speaking skills, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong ability and willingness to work in a team environment, multi-task and problem solve; and
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Valid fishing license;
- Valid firearms license;
- Valid hunting version of the outdoors card; and
- Valid emergency first aid with level C CPR certification and AED (as a minimum);
- Valid criminal record check; and
- Valid OFAH membership.
- Valid pleasure craft operator’s card.
Please submit in one document a cover letter and résumé indicating how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
Attention: Conservation Education Coordinator
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
NO TELEPHONE OR EMAIL INQUIRIES CALLS PLEASE
The deadline for applications is September 22, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Julie Young, Human Resources at 705-748-6324 x245 or email@example.com.