OOD Editorial Web Assistant
Job Title: OOD Editorial Web Assistant
Application Deadline: May 7, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Potential Start Date: June 5, 2017
Potential End Date: August 26, 2017
Duration: 12 weeks (35 hour week)
Location: Peterborough, ON
Rate of Pay: $12.00
Number of Positions: 1
Ontario OUT OF DOORS (OOD) magazine is currently seeking an OOD Editorial Web Assistant to work with the editorial team to produce appealing angling, hunting, and outdoor-related editorial content for the OOD brand, including www.oodmag.com and social media, reporting to the Editor-in-Chief.
|Applicants must have been full-time post-secondary students in the 2016-17 academic year, under 30 years of age, and be returning to a post-secondary school full-time in September 2017, as per the requirements of the Government of Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs Program.|
- Research news relating to fish and wildlife;
- Proofread a variety of copy – web and print;
- Post news and features to the website using WordPress;
- Write small web news pieces;
- Suggest and post content for social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and the OOD forum;
- Monitor comment sections of social media sites, including OOD forum threads;
- Assist with monthly conversion and uploading of the digital magazine;
- Assist with compilation and deployment of monthly e-newsletter;
- Contribute to editorial web content development and deployment;
- Check online classified ads against print versions; and
- Resize digital photos for use online.
Education and Qualifications:
- College or university student studying in the field of publishing, journalism, editing, graphic design, or a related field;
- Registered as a full-time student in Post Secondary Education for the 2016-2017 academic school year in one of the above related fields, and enrolment in Post Secondary Education for the Fall of 2017;
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the beginning of employment;
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced literacy and ability to write using clear language;
- Knowledge of computer design and layout, and word processing software;
- Strong computer filing and management skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to use diplomacy and tact;
- Good organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Ability to take direction, work well within a team and manage independent assignments; and
- Familiarity with using social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube).
- Valid G class driver’s license (willing to obtain before start date);
- Valid police record check; and
- Valid OFAH membership.
- Understanding of fish and wildlife conservation, fishing, and/or hunting.
Please submit in one document an OOD Editorial Web Assistant Application Form cover letter and résumé and how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
The deadline for applications is May 7, 2017 at 5:00 pm.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES PLEASE
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Julie Young, Human Resources Assistant at 705-748-6324 x245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.