Waterfront Lifeguard (Peterborough – 2 positions)
Job Title: Waterfront Lifeguard
Application Deadline: March 25, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Potential Start Date: July 10, 2018
Potential End Date: August 31, 2018
Location: Peterborough, ON
Duration: 8 Days (every Wednesday 9:00am – 4:30pm; 6.5 hours per week)
Rate of Pay: $14.00 per hour
Number of Positions: 2
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) is the oldest and largest non-profit, non-government fish and wildlife conservation organization in Canada. The OFAH represents more than 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters. The OFAH Get Outdoors program is a national award winning, youth conservation and leadership program which gives today’s youth first hand exposure to our rich outdoor heritage.
- Provide a safe and positive environment while instructing and supervising waterfront activities (e.g. swimming, fishing, canoeing etc.) for all campers, staff and volunteers that comply with government and camp waterfront safety regulations.
- Review “Emergency Response Plan” and other lifeguarding duties with fellow lifeguards as provided by the Conservation Education Coordinator.
- Review waterfront rules and expectations with campers, staff and volunteers during on-site, day-of orientation.
- Assist with parent inquiries with respect to all waterfront activities and safety.
- Personally conduct a swim test with each camper to determine their swimming ability and approved activities.
- Ensure the waterfront first aid kit has all required items, quantities and proper safety equipment is easily accessible as described by the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
- Provide or delegate first aid at the waterfront or elsewhere when needed, and keep accurate records of all first aid treatments.
- Assist in maintaining the safety and supervision of OFAH Get Outdoors volunteers and campers.
Education and Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age; and
- Minimum of one year of experience as a lifeguard at a pool or camp would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong reading, and numeracy;
- Strong ability and willingness to work with others, problem solve, critical think, leadership, and multi-task.
- Valid National Lifeguard Services (NLS) Waterfront certification;
- Valid fishing license;
- Valid pleasure craft operators card;
- Valid police record check;
- Valid standard first aid with level C CPR and AED certification (as a minimum); and
- Valid OFAH membership.
Please submit in one document a cover letter and résumé indicating how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
Attention: Conservation Outreach Programs Coordinator
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE OR EMAIL INQUIRIES PLEASE
The deadline for applications is March 25, 2018 at 11:59 pm.
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Julie Young, Human Resources at 705-748-6324 x245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.