BrokerLink Insurance has been a proud partner of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters for over 20 years. As an OFAH member, you qualify for preferred rates on your home and auto insurance. Our expert insurance advisors offer outstanding service and options to meet all your insurance needs
Planning on installing a roof rack this Summer? Now that the weather is warmer, many of us are starting to enjoy more time outside. A roof rack can be an absolute necessity when it comes to getting your stuff from point A to point B.
While a roof rack can be a great way to allow you more space in your vehicle, you should also know that installing one counts as a vehicle modification. There are some precautions you should take to make the decision to get one an easy one. Here is some advice on how it might affect your insurance and some essential tips for roof rack installation.
Do roof racks affect your auto insurance?
The installation of a roof rack can result in a premium increase or even the need for a higher type of coverage. This is because they are considered to be a vehicle modification, and certain modifications tend to increase risk. In the case of roof racks, if they are not installed properly, there is a greater risk of an accident.
Always let your insurance advisor know before you add a roof rack to your vehicle. Your advisor can help you understand any changes in your coverage that might result from the new addition and make sure you have the protection you need. It’s important to always disclose a material change in risk as it can result in a denied claim or your policy being canceled.
How should I go about installing a roof rack?
If you have spoken with your advisor and have decided to go ahead with purchasing a roof rack, here are some installation tips to follow:
- Decide which type of roof rack will best suit your needs. If you have a vehicle that already has built-in rails, you’ll need a roof rack with crossbars that are compatible with them. If your roof is bare, a roof rack that clamps around the doorjambs is the right choice.
- What are you going to be using the roof rack for? There are racks specifically made for skis, snowboards, bikes, kayaks, as well as universal options that can carry what you need.
- Decide how wide and how long you’ll need the roof rack to be. The size of the roof rack you are intending to buy will affect how much equipment you can attach to it.
- Double-check your measurements. Always ensure you’re buying a roof rack that will fit the length and width of your roof. Check online for different options and make sure to look at which vehicles they’re compatible with. You don’t want to buy one that won’t work on your vehicle.
- Check the instructions thoroughly. Every roof rack is different, so it’s important to closely follow the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer. If you’re unsure about any steps, double-check the instructions or get advice from a professional. You need to ensure it is securely and safely installed to your roof.
When you’re gearing up to venture out read about how to have your car “road trip ready” with this checklist
Rest Assured, BrokerLink Has You Covered*
Contact us to get a free, no-obligation insurance quote:
* Subject to policy conditions and exclusions. ©2022 Brokerlink Inc. ™BrokerLink & Design is a trademark of Brokerlink Inc. All rights reserved.