The OFAH employs a team of professional staff to review policy proposals, changes to regulations and legislation and any other initiatives or programs to advocate for Ontario’s natural resources and the rights and traditions of anglers and hunters. Your Federation responds to proposed changes that could affect fish and wildlife conservation and angling and hunting opportunities. The OFAH continues to be involved in deer management by:
- Recommending licensed hunting in protected areas experiencing overabundant deer and habitat degradation.
- Advocating for additional deer seals where deer populations are overabundant.
- Advocating for increased transparency and accountability in the deer tag allocation process.
- Collecting donations through the DeerSave program for emergency winter conservation activities.
- Encouraging municipalities to adopt deer management strategies to deal with overabundant deer populations (ie: Thunder Bay hunting by-laws)
- Representing deer hunters on the OFAH Big Game Advisory Committee
Listed below are examples of your OFAH hard at work on deer management.
Sept 21, 2017 OFAH supports EHD research in Ontario
Jan 10, 2013 OFAH letter to MNRF re: Controlled deer hunt program
Where we Stand
- deer management decisions must be made using the best available science
- deer hunting is economically important, generating over $60 million in hunter expenditures annually
- deer harvest is important in terms of crop damage reduction and highway safety
- sustainable deer management requires annual population assessment
- protection of deer habitat must be a primary consideration in Crown Forest Management Planning
- regulated hunting can be used as a tool in maintaining deer densities and deer habitat
- the OFAH supports mandatory deer harvest reporting to optimize deer management and conservation
- the safety and benefits of deer management by licensed hunters should be promoted
OFAH Big Game Advisory Committee
MNRF Big Game Management Advisory Committee
MNRF Human-Wildlife Conflict Advisory Group
MNRF Hats for Hides Steering Committee